Part A:
Hi, Tony.
嗨,托尼,
Thanks ever so much for coming.
谢谢你的到来。
You know we've been asked to organise something for John's farewell.
你知道我们被要求为约翰告别安排些什么的吗?
Yes, sure.
是啊,当然,
It's about time we started working out details.
这是我们开始着手细节的时候了。
Exactly.
确切地说。
We don't want to leave it so late that it's double the work.
我们不想把这个工作留到很晚,这会使工作翻倍。
Right.
嗯,嗯。
Do you want me to take notes?
你想让我做笔记吗?
That will be great.
那很好,
Thanks.
谢谢。
Right, first thing is when is the best time to hold it?
对,第一件事是,什么时候是最好的时间?
Well, he leaves on the 24th of December.
嗯,他在十二月二十四日离开。
So what about the 22nd?
那二十三日怎么样?
Yes, I think that's about right.
可以。我认为那样刚好。
We want it quite near the time, don't we?
我们想要那个接近他离开的时间,不是吗?
Sure, and what about the venue?
当然,当然,那场地呢?
In college? A hotel?
在学校?饭店?
I think a hotel will probably work out rather expensive, and I've been looking at the College Dining Room.
我想一个酒店可能会很贵,我一直在看大学餐厅,
That seems pretty reasonable.
这很合理。
Fine, yeah, why not?
好的,是的,为什么不呢?
And then we ought to be thinking about invitations...
那么我们应该考虑邀请…
Who mustn't we forget to invite?
我们一定不能忘记邀请谁?
Obviously, John and his wife.
嗯,很明显是他和他的妻子。
Right.
对。
And the Director.
还有主任。
The office staff.
办公室工作人员。
And all the teachers and all the students?
是的,和所有的老师和学生。
Anyone else?
还有谁?
Faculty heads?
教员?
No, better draw the line, I don't think it's necessary.
不,最好还是要有区分。我不认为这是必要的。
Yes, you're right.
是的,你是对的。
I don't mind writing invitations.
我不介意写邀请信。
When shall we get them out for?
我们什么时候要把它们准备好?
Enough time, but not too early.
有足够的时间,但不要太早。
What about the fifteenth of December?
十二月十五日怎么样?
Well, there're exams on the sixteenth, better avoid them.
好吧,16号有考试,最好避开这个日期。
Tenth?
10号?
Yeah, that should do it.
是的,恩,这样应该可以。
Part B:
So, what does that leave?
那还有什么剩下?
Oh, yes, a present.
哦,是的,一个礼物。
Would you mind doing that?
你介意这样做吗?
No, not at all.
不,完全不介意,
We usually get around with envelope during coffee break, don't we?
我们通常在咖啡时间准备一个信封,可不是吗?
Coffee break's always the best time because people have got their money handy.
是啊,咖啡时间时最好的时间,因为人们的钱就在手边。
Yes, exactly.
是的,准确地说。
Do we suggest an amount?
我们建议一个数额?
Or does it seem a bit unfair?
还是有点不公平?
No, I think people welcome it.
不,我认为人们欢迎它。
We suggested six dollars last time.
上次我们建议六美元,
Is that Ok?
是吗?
Yes, plenty I would have thought, which should leave us with about ninety dollars?
是的,足够了,这应该能剩下90美元供我们使用。
Have you any ideas for presents?
对于礼物你有什么想法吗?
Well, I've been having a little think.
嗯,我有点想法。
I thought, you know, he loves music.
我想,你知道,他喜欢音乐。
Yeah, and books.
是的,还有书。
So, I thought I'd check on prices for, well, perhaps CD players?
所以,我想我要看一下唱片播放器的价格。
Yes.
是的,
That's a good idea and also I thought maybe, you know, a set of dictionaries.
这是一个好主意,我还有个想法,一套字典。
I heard him say he needed a good one.
我听他说他需要一套好的。
The other thing he was saying last week was that his computer printer had broken.
他上星期说的另一件事是他的电脑打印机坏了。
No, I'd be really frightened about getting the wrong type.
嗯。不,我真的很害怕得弄错型号。
OK.
好的,是的。
The other thing is something for the home.
另一件东西是给家里的东西——
Jill suggested a coffee maker.
吉尔建议一个咖啡壶。
Yes, I'll certainly find out what they cost.
哦,是的。我一定会找出他们的价格。
Ok, have you got all that done?
好吧,你把所有的都记下了吗?
Yes.
是的。
No, we need to think a little more about the money.
现在我们需要多想想钱。
I know we've got a set amount from the Social Fund.
我知道我们从社会基金中获得了一些。
Right.
对,
What does that cover?
那是什么?
It's meant to cover the cost of the room.
这是为了支付房间的费用。
Yeah.
是啊
And a certain amount for food.
和一定量的食物。
And also drinks?
还有饮料?
Oh yeah, certainly.
哦,是的,当然。
But will it be enough?
但这够了吗?
What we've done in the past is to ask guests to bring some snacks.
我们过去做过的是让客人带些点心来
Right.
对。
We don't ask them to bring more drinks.
我们不要求他们带更多的饮料,
Because we figure that's, that should come from the Social Fund.
因为我们认为这是…那应该来自社会基金。
Ok.
好的。
Anything else for the guests to bring?
还有其他客人要带吗?
Well, oh some music.
嗯,一些音乐,
Because there'll be a tape deck there in the room.
因为在房间里有一个录音带,
And we can have some dancing later on.
我们可以在后面跳舞。
Anything else?
还有其他的吗?
Well.
好吧,
It's just a thought.
这只是一个想法,
But a couple of years ago that we had a really good party where we set up, you know, some simple games.
但几年前,我们有一个非常好的聚会,你知道,一些简单的游戏。
Yeah, great.
是啊,很好。
Wasn't it based on photos from the students and teachers?
是不是基于照片,从学生和教师?
That's right.
对。
So we should ask the guests to bring photos.
所以我们应该请客人带照片。
Ok, I'll put it on the invitations.
好啊。我会把它放在邀请函上。
Now the last thing is, who shall we ask to do the speech?
现在的最后一件事是,我们要求谁来做演讲?
Don't you think it might be nice to have one of the students?
你不认为请一个学生会很好吗?
Well then, the Student Leader?
那么,学生干部?
Yes, much better than the Director giving speeches again.
是啊,比让主任再演讲一次要好。
Ok, then I'll ask her.
好吧,我会问她。
Lovely, so is that all?
很好!那么,这就是全部了?
Looks like it.
看起来像是。
Great.
很好
Thanks ever so much.
非常感谢
Complete the table below:
Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS AND/OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Weather during the Little lce Age
Example Answer Date 22nd December Venue: Invitations (Tony) Who to invite: -- John and his wife -- Director -- the -- all the teachers -- all the Date for sending invitations:
|
1. College Dining Room|COLLEGE DINING ROOM
2. office staff|students|OFFICE STAFF|STUDENTS
3. students|office staff|STUDENTS|OFFICE STAFF
4. 10th December|10TH DECEMBER