原文已被隐藏,你可用 快捷键 - 或点击 显示原文 按钮来查看原文
第一段
1 .OK, Stewart.
Stewart
2 .We need to start planning our paper on public libraries.
我们得开始计划关于公共图书馆的论文了。
3 .Have you thought of an angle yet?
你想到从哪个角度写了吗?
第二段
1 .Well, there's so much we could look into.
嗯,有很多可以着手的东西。
2 .How libraries have changed over the centuries,
比如图书馆在过去的世纪里是如何变迁的,
3 .for instance,or how different countries organise them.
或者各个国家对它们的组织有何不同。
4 .What do you think, Trudie?
你觉得怎么样,Trudie.
第三段
1 .Maybe we should concentrate on this country, and try and relate the chances in libraries to external developments, like the fact that far more people can read than a century ago,
也许我们应该聚焦于这个国家,试着把图书馆的变化与外部发展情况联系起来, 比如相较于100年前现在有更多的人识字
2 .and that the local population may speak lots of different languages.
当地的人可能说着很多不同语言的事实。
第四段
1 .We could include something about changes in the source of funding, too.
我们也可以纳入一些有关图书馆资金来源变化的东西。
第五段
1 .Yes, but remember we're only supposed to write a short paper, so it's probably best if we don¡¯t go into funding in any detail.
是的,但要记住我们要写的是一篇短论文,所以在资金方面最好不要有任何详述。
第六段
1 .Right. Well, shall we just brainstorm a few ideas, to get started?
嗯。我们现在开始对几个想法头脑风暴一下就开始好吗?
第七段
1 .OK. We obviously need to look at the impact of new technology, particularly the internet.
好的,很明显我们需要考虑新技术,尤其是互联网的影响。
2 .Now that lots of books have been digitalised, people can access them from their own computers at home.
因为很多书籍都已经数字化了,所以人们在家通过自己的电脑就能读到它们。
第八段
1 .And if everyone did that, libraries would be obsolete.
如果所有人都那样,图书馆就要被淘汰了。
第九段
1 .Yes.
是的
第十段
1 .But the digitalised books that are available online for free are mostly out of copyright.aren't they?
但那些可以在网上找到的数字化的书大多都是版权过期了的,是不是?
2 .And copyright in this country lasts for 70 years after the author dies.
在这个国家,版权在作者死后可持续70年。
3 .So you won't find the latest best-seller or up-to-date information.
所以,你不会在网上找到最近的畅销书或者最新的信息。
第十一段
1 .That's an important point.
这一点很重要。
2 .Anyway, I find it hard to concentrate when I'm reading a long text on a screen.
不管怎么样,我发现我在屏幕上看一段长文本时很难集中注意力。
第十二段
1 .I'd much rather read a physical book.
我宁愿看实体书,
2 .And it takes longer to read on a screen.
而且在屏幕上看书要花更长时间。
第十三段
1 .Oh, I prefer it.
啊,我更喜欢在屏幕上看书,
2 .I suppose it's Just a personal preference.
我想这只是个人偏好问题。
第十四段
1 .Mm. I expect that libraries will go on evolving in the next few years.
嗯,我预计在接下来的几年里图书馆将继续演变。
2 .Some have already become centres where community activities take place, like local clubs meeting there.
有的图书馆已经变成开展社区活动的中心了,就像是本地社团聚会一样。
3 .I think that' ll become even more common.
我认为这会变得更加普遍。
第十五段
1 .I'd like to think so, and that they'll still be serving their traditional function, but I'm not so sure.
我认同,同时它们仍然会发挥自己的传统功能,不过我不是很确定。
2 .There are financial implications, after all.
毕竟还有财务方面的考量。
3 .What I'm afraid will happen is that books and magazines will all disappear and there II just be rows and rows of computers.
我害怕发生的是书籍和杂志都会消失,只剩下一排排的电脑。
4 .They won't look anything like the libraries we're used to.
那样的话它们就丝毫不像我们所习惯的图书馆了。
第一段
1 .I've just had an idea.
我刚刚有了个想法。
2 .Why don't we make an in-depth study of our local public library as background to our paper?
我们为什么不对本地的公共图书馆做一个深入研究,作为我们论文的背景资料呢?
第二段
1 .Yes, that'd be interesting, and raise all sorts of issues.
嗯,那会很有趣,而且能引申出所有的问题。
2 .Let's make a list of possible things we could ask about, then work out some sort of structure.
我们就可能会问到的事情列一个表吧,然后琢磨出问题的结构来。
3 .For instance. um. we could interview some of the staff,
比如说,我们可以采访一些图书馆职员,
4 .and find out whether the library has its own budget, or if that's controlled by the local council.
问清楚图书馆是否有自己的预算,还是由当地市政厅控制。
第三段
1 .And what their policies are.
还有他们那的规矩是怎样的。
2 .I know they don't allow food,
我知道他们不允许在里面吃东西,
3 .but I'd love to find out what types of noise they ban-there always seems to be a lot of talking, but never music.
但我还想知道的是他们会禁止什么样的噪音,那里似乎总是有很多人说话,但从来没有音乐。
4 .I don't know if that's a policy or it just happens.
我不知道那是图书馆的规矩,还是只是碰巧。
第四段
1 .Ah, I've often wondered.
嗯,我也经常好奇。
2 .Then there are things like how the library is affected by employment laws.
然后就是图书馆是怎样受雇佣法律影响的。
3 .I suppose there are rules about working hours. facilities for staff.and so on.
我想关于工作时间、图书馆员工设施等都有相关的规程。
第五段
1 .Right.Then there are other issues relating to the design of the building and how customers use it.
是的。再有就是有关建筑设计和客人怎么使用它的问题。
2 .Like what measures does the library take to ensure their safety?
比如说图书馆采取了什么措施来保证人们的安全。
3 .They'd need floor coverings that aren't slippery, and emergency exits, for instance.
比如说他们得有不滑的地板和紧急出口。
4 .Oh, and another thing-there's the question of the kind of insurance the library needs to have, in case anyone gets injured.
啊,还有个问题,图书馆需要买什么种类的保险,以防有人受伤。
第六段
1 .Yes, that's something else to find out.
嗯,这个问题也得弄清楚。
2 .You know something I've often wondered?
你知道我经常好奇什么吗?
第七段
1 .What's that?
什么?
第八段
1 .Well, you know they've got an archive of local newspapers going back years?
嗯,你知道他们有本地报纸很多年的存档吗?
2 .Well, next to it they've got the diary of a well-known politician from the late 19th century.
此外,他们还有一位19世纪晚期著名政客的日记。
3 .I wonder why it's there.
我想知道为什么它在那。
4 .Do you know what his connection was with this area?
你知道他跟这片区域有什么联系吗?
第九段
1 .No idea. Let's add it to our list of things to find out.
不知道。我们把它加到我们要弄清楚的事情列表里吧。
2 .Oh, I've Just thought - you know people might ask in the library about local or organisations like sports clubs?
啊,我刚刚想到 - 你知道人们会在图书馆问一些有关本地组织的事情吗,比如说体育俱乐部。
3 .Well. I wonder if they keep a database. or whether they just look online.
我想知道他们是不是有一个数据库,或者他们只是在网上查的。
第十段
1 .Right. I quite fancy finding out what the differences are between a library that's open to the public and one that's part of a museum,
嗯。我也很想知道向公众开放的图书馆,跟比如说属于博物馆一部分的图书馆有什么不同,
2 .for example-they must be very different.
它们一定非常不同。
第十一段
1 .Mmm. Then something else I'd like to know is…
嗯,我还想知道的事情是...