原文已被隐藏,你可用 快捷键 - 或点击 显示原文 按钮来查看原文
第一段
1 .Dave, I'm worried about our case study.
Dave,我有点担心我们的案例研究。
2 .I've done a bit of reading, but I'm not sure What's involved in actually writing a case study - I missed the lecture where Dr Baker talked us through it.
我读了一点东西,但是我不确定写一个案例研究要做哪些事情,我错过了Baker博士给我们讲这个的讲座。
第二段
1 .OK, well it's quite straightforward.
嗯,其实是十分简单的。
2 .We've got our focus - that's tourism at the Horton Castle site.
我们已经有了主题,即Horton城堡的旅游业。
3 .And you said you'd done some reading about it.
你说你已经读了一些东西。
第三段
1 .Yes, I found some articles and made notes of the main points.
是的,我找到了一些文章,并且记下了要点。
第四段
1 .Did you remember to keep a record of where you got the information from?
你记得要记下是从哪儿得到那些信息的吧?
第五段
1 .Sure.I know what a pain it is when you forget that.
当然,我知道要是忘了做这事儿会多痛苦。
第六段
1 .OK, so we can compare what we've read.
好的,那我们就能比较一下我们读过的东西了。
2 .Then we have to decide on a particular problem or need at our site.
然后我们得定下来我们选的景点的一个具体问题或是需要。
3 .And then think about who we're going to interview to get more information.
紧接着就是考虑为得到更多信息要采访哪些人?
第七段
1 .OK. So who'd that be?
嗯,那采访哪些人呢?
2 .The people who work there?
在那工作的人?
3 .And presumably some of the tourists too?
或者再采访一些游客?
第八段
1 .Yes, both those groups.
是的,两者都要采访。
2 .So we'll have to go to the site to do that, I suppose.
我觉得我们得去景点做采访。
3 .But we might also do some of our interviewing away from the site - we could even contact some people here in the city,
不过我们也许也可以在景点之外做一些采访,们甚至可以联系一些城里的人,
4 .like administrators involved in overseeing tourism.
比如那些监管旅游业的管理者。
第九段
1 .OK. So we'll need to think about our interview questions and fix times and places for the meetings.
嗯,我们要想一想采访的问题,还得定下采访的时间地点。
2 .It's all going to take a lot of time.
这将会花很多时间。
第十段
1 .Mmm. And if we can, we should ask our interviewees if the can bring along some numerical data that we can add to support our findings.
嗯,如果可以的话,我们应该问问受访者是否能提供一些数据, 我们可以将其加入到我们的案例研究中以支持我们的发现。
第十一段
1 .And photographs?
还要拍照片?
第十二段
1 .I think we have plenty of those already.
我想我们已经有了很多照片了。
2 .But Dr Baker also said we have to establish with our interviewees whether we can identify them in our case study,
Baker博士还说过我们得跟受访者确认能否在案例研究中指出他们,
3 .or whether they want to be anonymous.
又或者他们想匿名出现。
第十三段
1 .Oh, I wouldn't have thought of that.
哦,我还没想到这一点。
2 .OK, once we've got all this information, I suppose we have to analyse it.
一旦收集到了这些信息,我想我们就得对它进行分析。
第十四段
1 .Yes,put it all together and choose what's relevant to the problem we're focusing on,
是的,把所有信息汇总,然后选出跟我们聚焦的问题相关的
2 .and analyse that carefully to find out if we can identify any trends or regularities there.
进行仔细分析,以了解我们是否能在其中发现任何趋势或规律。
3 .That's the main thing at this stage, rather than concentrating on details or lots of facts.
这就是目前这个阶段的主要任务,而不是关注细节或是很多的零碎事实。
第十五段
1 .OK. And then once we've analysed that, what next?
好的,那分析完了下一步做什么呢?
第十六段
1 .Well, then we need to think about what we do with the data we've selected to make it as clear as possible to our readers.
嗯,然后我们就得思考要怎样处理选择出来的数据才能让我们的读者尽可能地了解清楚。
2 .Things like graphs,or tables, or charts...
比如说以图片或是表格的形式。
第十七段
1 .Right.
对。
第十八段
1 .Then the case study itself is mostly quite standard;
然后案例研究的写作就相当标准化了,
2 .we begin by presenting the problem, and giving some background,
我们以陈述问题开始, 给出一些背景
3 .then go through the main sections,
然后开始主体部分。
4 .but the thing that surprised me is that in a normal report we'd end with some suggestions to deal with the problem or need we identified,
但令我惊讶的是在一份正式报告中,我们会以一些解决问题或我们指出的需要的建议结尾,
5 .but in a case study we end up with a question or a series of questions to our readers.
但在案例研究中,我们是以向读者提出的一个或一系列的问题结尾,
6 .and they decide what ought to be Done.
由读者决定该做什么。
第一十九段
1 .Oh, I hadn't realised that.
哦,我还没有意识到这一点。
第一段
1 .So basically, the problem we're addressing in our case study of the Horton Castle site is why so few tourists are visiting it.
所以,基本上,我们要在关于Horton城堡的案例研究中解决的问题就是为什么来游览的旅客这么少。
2 .And we'll find out more from our interviews,
我们会从采访中发现更多信息,
3 .but I did find one report on the internet that suggested that one reason might be because as far as transport goes, access is difficult.
不过我倒是在网上找到一篇报告,它表示其中的一个原因或许是交通问题,因为来城堡比较困难。
第二段
1 .I read that too, but that report was actually written ten years ago, when the road there was really bad,
我也读了那篇报告,但它是十年前写的,那时候路况还很糟糕,
2 .but that's been improved now.
不过如今已经有了改善。
3 .And I think there's plenty of fascinating stuff there for a really good day out,
而且我认为城堡里有很多吸引人的东西,是外出游玩一天的好去处,
4 .but you'd never realise it from the castle website - maybe that's the problem.
不过这从城堡的网页上是看不出来的,也许这才是问题所在。
第三段
1 .Yes it's really dry and boring.
嗯,那个网页确实乏味无聊。
第四段
1 .I read somewhere a suggestion that what the castle needs is a visitor centre.
我从别的地方看过一个建议是说城堡需要一个游客中心。
2 .So we could have a look for some information about that on the internet.
我们可以在网上找一找相关的信息。
3 .What would we Need to know?
我们要知道些什么呢?
第五段
1 .Well, who'd use it for a start.
首先是给谁用的?
2 .It'd be good to know what categories the visitors fell into too,
要是能知道哪些类别的游客会来就好了,
3 .like school parties or retired people,
比如说学校团体或是退休人群,
4 .but I think we'd have to talk to staff to get that information.
不过我觉得我们得跟那儿的工作人员谈谈才能得到这些信息。
第六段
1 .OK. And as we're thinking of suggesting a visitor centre we'd also have to look at potential problems.
嗯。在考虑游客中心的建议的同时,我们还得看看有什么潜在的问题。
2 .I mean, obviously it wouldn't be cheap to set up.
我的意思是,很明显建立游客中心并不便宜。
第七段
1 .No, but it could be a really good investment.
不便宜,但那会是一项很好的投资。
2 .And as it's on a historical site it'd need to get special planning permission, I expect.
而且因为是在历史遗迹上,我预计得获得特别计划许可才行。
3 .That might be hard.
这或许会很难。
第八段
1 .Right, especially as the only possible place for it would be at the entrance,
是的,尤其是唯一的可能选址还是在入口处,
2 .and that's right in front of the castle.
而那儿正好就在城堡的前面。
第九段
1 .Mmm.
哎!
第十段
1 .But it could be a good thing for the town of Horton.
不过对 Horton 镇来说,这可能是件好事。
2 .At present it's a bit of a ghost town.
现在它多少还是座鬼城。
3 .Once they've left school and got any skills or qualifications,
年轻人一旦离开学校,或是学会了某项技能、得到了什么资格证书,
4 .the young people all get out as fast as they can to get jobs in the city,
就会尽快离开镇子到城里去找工作,
5 .and the only people left are children and those who've retired.
留下来的人都是小孩子和退休的人。
第十一段
1 .Right. Something else we could investigate would be the potential damage that tourists might cause to the castle site,
是的。其他可以调研的事情就是游客可能给城堡遗迹造成的潜在破坏,
2 .I mean their environmental impact.
我是指他们的环境影响。
3 .At present the tourists can just wander round wherever they want,
目前游客们可以想到哪逛就到哪逛,
4 .but if numbers increase, there might have to be some restrictions,
但是如果游客数量增加,或许就得加以限制,
5 .like sticking to marked ways.
比如说只能在标记好的路线上游览。
6 .And there'd need to be guides and wardens around to make sure these were enforced.
而且得有导游和督察员确保这些举措得以实行。
第十二段
1 .Yes, we could look at that too.
是的,这些也可以考虑。
2 .OK, well ...
好的,那...